Friday, 20 July 2012

Making Chawanmushi (Japanese Steamed Egg)

As mentioned in my previous blog entry, I went for a sushi and chawanmushi (Japanese steamed egg)making workshop and had learnt a few tricks in making chawanmushi.

I have always liked chawanmushi as the soft texture (softer than tofu) and light flavour is suitable for people of all ages, especially the elderly and young. This is somehow similar to the steamed egg that my mother used to make for dinner when I was young but the texture is much more softer and smooth compared to the home cooked steam egg (that has many holes on the surface after steaming).


Step 1: Beat the eggs with a fork/chopsticks/spoon with some mirin in circular motion

Step 2: Add some water/chicken stock to the beaten eggs and continue to beat for 30 sec

Step 3: Use a sieve to filter the beaten eggs solution

Step 4: Brush some cooking oil on the inner surface of the cup/bowl that we are going to steam the eggs

Step 5: Add some ingredients (Sliced mushrooms, chicken cubes, ginko nuts, Japanese fish cake) at the base of the cup/bowl

Step 6: Pour the sieved egg solution into the cup/bowl to about 80% filled (Do not fill to the brim)

Step 7: Use a piece of aluminium foil to cover the cup/bowl before steaming for 5 mins (Secret step in making the smooth texture)


The teacher explained that the alumnimum foil helps to prevent the water droplets (from the steamer)  from dripping onto the egg solution.

I think this is quite an easy dish to make even for inexperienced cooks like me. I am sure your parents and kids will like this. Do try it some day....



No comments:

Post a Comment